Skip to the page's main content
Enter Supervisor Credentials
User Name:


Click one of the following links for a PDF containing a translation of all FAQ articles:
City Form Category
A UBI (Unified Business Identifier) is a 16-digit number issued by Washington State Business License Services. The State requires businesses that meet a certain threshold to register the business and apply for a UBI.

FileLocal uses the UBI to identify your business locations, so you need a UBI for each business location in order to use FileLocal. You can apply for a UBI even if you do not meet the State’s thresholds using the links provided at the end of this article.
The UBI has 3 parts:
  • The Primary UBI is a 9-digit number that identifies the taxpaying entity as a whole, regardless of the number of businesses or locations.
  • The Business ID is a 3-digit number that represents the business. In most cases this will be 001, but it is possible to have multiple businesses represented until the Primary UBI, so the Business ID could be 002, etc.
  • The Location ID is a 4-digit number that presents a location of the business.
Since each location of your business should be registered with the State, each location should have a unique 16-digit UBI, comprised of a common Primary UBI (first 9 digits) and then its own Business ID and Location ID combination.
Here are the State’s criteria for requiring a UBI:
You need a UBI if you meet 1 or more of the following criteria:
  • Your business grosses $12,000 or more per year.
  • You’re doing business using a name other than your full legal name.
  • You plan to hire employees within the next 90 days.
  • You sell a product or provide a service that is taxable. To find out more about what products or services are taxable, see the Department of Revenue’s Business tax guide, or call them at 360-705-6741 or 360-705-6705.
  • Your business has specialty licenses available through the Business Licensing Service.
  • Your business is a Washington State corporation, LLC, or limited partnership.
  • If you are opening a business as a Corporation, Limited Liability Company (LLC) or Limited Partnership (LP), you must register with the Secretary of State to obtain the UBI number for your legal entity. You will then file with Business Licensing Service for the state business license.
Sec of State/Corporations Division
If you plan to operate as a Sole Proprietor or as a General Partnership, or have already registered your Corporation or LLC with the Secretary of State, you must then file your business with the Business Licensing Service
You may also want to view:
Washington State Small Business Guide
Washington Secretary of Roadmap to Register and License your Business in Washington State